6 Bacon slices
1 lb Lean ground beef
1 c Corn, canned
1/4 c Green bell peppers — finely
1/4 c Onions — finely chopped
1/4 c Cornmeal
1/2 ts Oregano
1 ts Chili powder
1 ts Salt
1/8 ts Black pepper
8 oz Tomato sauce
1 lg Egg
1/4 c Milk
1/2 ts Dry mustard
1/2 ts Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 c Cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 c Sliced black olives
1/4 c Green chiles — chopped
1 c All-purpose flour
2 tb Cornmeal
1/3 c Bacon fat — or shortening
1. Fry bacon until crisp; break into large pieces.
2. Chill 1/3 cup bacon drippings until firm to use for crust, or use
vegetable shortening instead.
3. Brown ground beef in large skillet, drain well. Stir in corn, green
pepper, onion, corn meal, oregano, chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt,
pepper, tomato sauce and half the mild green chiles. Keep warm while
preparing pie crust.
4. CRUST: Combine 1 cup flour and 2 tablespoons cornmeal. Cut in bacon
drippings with two knives or pastry blender until mixture is the size
of small peas. Sprinkle 3-4 tablespoons water over mixture; stir with
fork until dough holds together. Form into a ball and flatten to 1/2
inch thick. Keep edges smooth. Roll out on a floured surface to a
diameter 1-1/2 inch larger than inverted 9-inch pie plate. Fit into
pie plate and fold edges to form a rim, then flute edges.
5. Place the ground beef mixture into pie crust. Bake in preheated
425-degree oven for 25 minutes.
6. Combine egg, milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, dry mustard, Worcestershire
sauce, half the sliced olives, 2 tablespoons mild green chiles and
shredded cheese. Spread on top of beef mixture. Top with bacon and
remaining olives. Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and
bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Serving Ideas : Serve with chilled jicama and sliced avocado.