INGREDIENTS FOR CRUST
1 c All-purpose flour
2 tb Unsweetened cocoa powder;
3 tb Granulated sugar
1 Pinches salt
4 tb Cold unsalted butter; cut
1 lg Egg
———————–INGREDIENTS FOR FILLING———————–
2 1/2 c Milk
1/3 c Granulated sugar
1/4 c Cornstarch
1 pn Salt
3 lg Eggs
4 oz Semisweet or bittersweet
-chocolate; finely chopped
4 tb Unsalted butter; softened
2 ts Vanilla extract
1/2 c Coconut; toasted
1 lg Banana; cut into 1/2-inch
———————INGREDIENTS FOR CREAM TOPPIN———————
1 c Heavy cream
2 tb Granulated sugar
1 ts Vanilla extract
Grated semisweet or
How to Prepare the Crust:
1. Combine the flour, cocoa, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food
processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse 3 times.
2. Add the pieces of butter, and pulse until the mixture resembles
coarse ground cornmeal. Add the egg and pulse until the dough forms a
ball. (If the mixture is too dry, add water, 1 teaspoon at a time,
and continue pulsing until the dough comes together.)
3. Scrape the dough onto a lightly-floured work surface and knead
lightly until the dough is smooth. Press into a disk, wrap in plastic
wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
4. Remove dough from refrigerator, place on a lightly floured surface
(pound gently with a rolling pin if too hard). Roll the dough out to
1/8-inch thickness. Place in a 9-inch glass pie plate, flute the
edges, and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
5. Dock the dough with the tines of a fork. Line with a disk of
parchment paper, and fill with beans or pie weights. Bake for 20
minutes, remove the paper and beans, and continue baking until golden
brown, about 10-15 additional minutes. Cool the crust on a rack.
How to Prepare the Filling:
1. Combine 2 cups milk, sugar, and salt in a non-reactive saucepan;
whisk and bring to a boil over low heat. Combine the remaining 1/2
cup of milk in a mixing bowl, whisk in the cornstarch, then the eggs.
2. Whisk 1/3 of the hot milk/sugar mixture into the egg mixture, add
the egg mixture into the remaining milk mixture, and whisk constantly
until the filling thickens and comes to a boil.
3. Allow the mixture to boil for another 30 seconds, whisking
constantly. Remove from the heat, whisk in the chocolate, butter, and
vanilla, and fold in the toasted coconut.
4. Pour the filling into a non-reactive bowl, and press plastic wrap
against the surface of the filling. Place in the refrigerator for
5. Arrange the bananas around the bottom of the pie crust. Spread the
cooled filling evenly over the bananas.
How to Prepare the Topping:
6. Using an electric mixer, combine the heavy cream, sugar, and
vanilla in a bowl.
7. Whip to soft peaks. Spread the cream over the filling and out to
8. Sprinkle with grated chocolate and serve.