3/4 c Firmly packed light brown
1 tb Cornstarch
1 ts Freshly grated orange zest
1/4 c Fresh orange juice
2 c Cranberries; picked over
1 c Golden raisins; soaked*
1/4 ts Salt
1 1/4 c All purpose flour
3 tb Sugar
1/4 ts Baking powder
1/8 ts Salt
6 tb Butter; cut into bits
1 lg Egg
1 tb Water
Make the filling:
1. In a saucepan stir together the brown sugar, the cornstarch, the zest
and the juice and add the cranberries, the raisins, and the salt. 2. Bring
the mixture to a boil, stirring, and simmer it for 5 minutes or until
berries have just burst.
3. Transfer the filling to a bowl and chill it covered for 2 hours or until
it is cold.
Make the dough:
1. In a bowl stir together the flour, the sugar, the baking powder and the
salt; add the butter and blend the mixture until it resemebles meal. 2. In
a small bowl whisk together the egg and the water and add the mixture to
the flour mixture, stirring with a fork until the mixture forms a dough.
3. Dust the dough with flour and chill it, wrapped in was paper, for 1
4. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Roll out the dough into a 12 inch round
on a lightly floured surface and transfer to a baking sheet. 5. Spoon the
filling onto the center of the dough, spreading it into an 8 inch circle,
and fold the edges of the dough over it, leaving the center of the filling
uncovered. Brush the dough with the egg wash and bake the tart in the
middle of the oven, covering the exposed filling loosely with foil after 10
minutes, for 15-20 minutes or until the pastry is golden.
6. Let the tart cool completely on the baking sheet on a rack.
Notes: * soak raisins in hot water for 5 minutes and drain ** egg wash is
made by beating 1 egg with 1 Tablespoon water
The filling can be made 2 days in advance and kept covered and chilled.